Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Doing Business in Mexico: Forming a Bond with your Mexican Business Partners

Note: Business Partner here means anyone you do business with in Mexico, potential client, buyer, supplier, etc.

One of the main differences that people notice when they first come to Mexico to do business is the way that business is conducted.  We've talked about the 4 hr lunches, but what is really behind the lunchis the personal relationship aspect of doing business. 

I remember when I was looking for a job and interviewed for a Latin American Sales position (mainly Mexico).  The manager went on and on about how great the job was because I wouldn't have to travel, I'd be able to do everything via phone.  I sat back and thought "I may not be traveling, but I also won't be making many sales."  The fact of the matter is that putting a face to a name in Mexico is crucial.  I don't care if you have the greatest product in the world and people are clamoring for it...you still need to meet your potential Mexican business partners in person.

Relationships are built on trust and it is very difficult to trust someone you have never met.  It happens in the US all the time - deals are made over email and the phone - but do not expect the same to work in Mexico.

2 comments:

  1. Good post. Meeting face to face is important, having lived in the Middle East for years I always complained about having to go have tea with a client for something that could be solved by an email. Things just don't work the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John - interesting to hear that things work the same in the Middle East, thanks for your comment. I think in the US and Canada we are in such a rush to get things done that we can see the in person meetings as unnecessary when in reality they are crucial to getting business done.

    ReplyDelete